In order to place a request for a title, you must have a Baltimore County Public Library card or have previously registered your library card from any other Maryland public library with us. You can obtain a BCPL e-card number by registering online.
All eligible material may be reserved (placed on hold) at any Baltimore County Public Library branch either in-person, by phone or online.
To place a hold request:using the BCPL catalog.
- Search for the title in the BCPL Catalog by using the long Search for: box above the changing Features on our home page at http://www.bcpl.info/. The default search box button is set to search the catalog only. There is also a Catalog Search (http://catalog.bcpl.lib.md.us/polaris/) link in the Find Materials area under our BCPL logo on our home page.
- Enter the title, author, subject in the search box.
Click the "Availability" button to the right of the title to find the individual branch holdings and the "Availability" of each item at each branch.
You can get more detailed information about the title by clicking on the title which is a hyperlink or the "Full Display" button on the right. Scroll down and click on the Summary area or Trade Reviews to find out more about the title.
- Now click on the Place Request button to the right of the title you want.
- Enter your BCPL registered library card number (barcode) without spaces and your password (originally set using the last four numbers in your phone number).
- Select the branch where you want to pick up the item.
- Click Submit Request button at the bottom of the screen.
- A confirmation screen will appear, indicating whether or not the hold was successfully placed.
When your library has your item available for pickup, you will be notified. You may choose to receive notification by email, automated phone service or text messaging. See http://www.bcpl.info/services-policies/library-services#notification for more information about these options.
To sign up for email notification of hold requests see http://bcpl.libanswers.com/faq/74854 or see Notification on our Library Services page at http://www.bcpl.info/services-policies/library-services#notification or use the Notification for Hold Requests and Overdues link under the Frequently Requested Info column of the Get Help area of our home page.
To ensure that you get your BCPL emails, add these addresses to your email Address Book:
Please pick up your item within seven (7) days after you are notified, or a Not Picked Up fee of $1.00 per item will be added to your account.