Last Updated: Jun 24, 2015 Views: 7016
Kindle users can borrow free eBooks from Baltimore County Public Library through Overdrive on Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium catalog
( http://maryland.lib.overdrive.com ) or through the BCPL library catalog. Kindle eBooks are not available through the 3M Cloud Library.
The Overdrive collection of ebooks is available to customers with a BCPL library card in good standing, an Amazon account set up and a Kindle device or reading app registered with Amazon.
For information on getting a BCPL library card see http://bcpl.libanswers.com/a.php?qid=78867
Instructions on how to use your Kindle with the library's Overdrive site are available at
Device Specific Help:
Getting Started with an Amazon Kindle device http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481738-kindle and http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481616
Getting Started with Kindle Video http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481713
Getting Started with Kindle Fire tablets http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481257
Getting Started with Kindle Fire Videos http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481711-getting-started-with-kindle-fire-tablets-videos-
The Amazon Kindle reading app is available on multiple platforms. How to install the Kindle Reading app http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1482056-how-to-install-the-kindle-reading-app
How to borrow Kindle books from the library (http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481599) using Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium catalog
1. Click on the Download now! ebooks audiobooks button in the middle of our home page or go to the Find Materials area at the top of our home page and click on eBooks and Audiobooks link (http://www.bcpl.info/find-materials/downloadables) in the middle column.
2. Click on Read eBooks.
3. On the Downloadable eBooks page at http://www.bcpl.info/find-materials/downloadables-ebooks, click on the Overdrive button or the Get Started with OverDrive link.
4. Now click on the Connect to Overdrive button.
5. We recommend you Login to your Overdrive account at the top of the Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium catalog screen
( http://maryland.lib.overdrive.com ) using your BCPL library card number without spaces.
6. To find titles formatted for Kindle, click on the Advanced Search tab under the Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium banner. Use the dropdown All Formats box and switch it to Kindle Book. Then click the Search buttton. Notice the check box for "Available Now". If you click on the button, this limits the search to only those available for immediate checkout.
7. Only those eBooks showing a Kindle label will work on your device. If a copy of a Kindle book is available. Click on "BORROW" then "Go to Bookshelf" (you may be prompted to sign-in to your OverDrive account). The book is now in the Bookshelf area of your Overdrive account ready to be downloaded. Sign-in to your OverDrive account if you have not done so earlier.
8. Click the 'Get for Kindle' button. You'll be redirected to Amazon.com's Public Library Loan page for that title. (You may be required to log in to your Amazon.com account -- or create a new account -- if you're not already logged in).
9. Choose your device from the Deliver to menu, and choose Get library book to send the book to your reading app or device.
10. Public library books require an active Wi-Fi connection for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. Library books will not be delivered via your Kindle's 3G connection. If you are trying to send a title to a Kindle device and you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, you may instead choose to load your library book via USB.
Note: Due to publisher restrictions, some ebooks in the Kindle format cannot be delivered wirelessly and must be downloaded and transferred via USB.
These titles display the following label
|Use on:||Kindle devices via USB only|
Both Mac and Windows users can manage Kindle content through a USB connection for instructions on using a USB connection.
For more information see http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200747550