Last Updated: Oct 18, 2023 Views: 100
To access any of the library's databases you must have a valid BCPL library card and you must know your library PIN/password since you will be prompted to log into your library account before you can access the database.
Start by going to BCPL's Research Databases page (https://www.bcpl.info/books-and-more/databases.html).
Once you click that link, scroll down the list and select ProQuest: Current and Historic Newspapers. FYI, this database includes the following current and historic newspapers:
- The Baltimore Sun (1837 to 1997)
- The Baltimore Afro-American (1893 - 2010)
- The Baltimore Sun (1990 to present)
The database defaults to searching all the newspapers at once. But it's best to start by limiting it to search one database at at time, unless you are searching for very unusual keywords or names and/or you have no idea what time period the subject matter you are searching for may have occurred.
Follow the steps below to select only one database/one newspaper at a time.
- Go to the library's home page at (www.bcpl.info) and select Books & More.
- Select Research Databases, scroll down the list and select ProQuest: Current and Historic Newspapers.
- You will be prompted to log into your library account. Enter your card number and PIN/password.
- Now you should be passed through to the ProQuest Newspaper database.
- Click on Change Databases, as shown in the image below.
- Click in the 'Select All' box to uncheck all databases.
- Now select ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The Baltimore Sun (1837 to 1997), Baltimore Sun (1990-present) or The Baltimore Afro-American (1893 - 2010).
- Now enter your search term(s), or after selecting one database, to see just one issue, select the Publications link, then select the link to that publication and select a decade, a year, a month and a date.
- If you get no results or too many results with a keyword search then try selecting 'Advanced Search' and limit your search by adding a publication date range, and/or a document type such as Obituaries, Birth Notices, Marriage Announcements, or Articles, as shown below.