Last Updated: Dec 05, 2017 Views: 14206
Renewals allow you to extend the original loan period for an item already checked out to you. Renewals are not always for the same length of time as the original loan period. The new due date is calculated from the date the renewal is submitted. Items eligible for renewal may be renewed up to two times (exception - OverDrive downloadables can only be renewed one time). If your item is already late when you renew it, appropriate late fee will be applied to your library account.
Most items can be renewed online or through Shelf Help, our automated phone service.
An item is not eligible for renewal if ...
- Another customer has placed a hold on the title.
- You have already renewed that item twice.
- You have extended loan fees over $25 for overdue materials listed on your library account.
- The item belongs to another library system.
- The item was interlibrary loaned items through OCLC.
- The item was checked out through a Teacher Loan Card.
- The item is Reference and cannot be borrowed.
- The item is a downloadable e-Book from cloudLibrary (formerly 3M Cloud Library)
To renew online:
Login to your library account at https://catalog.bcpl.lib.md.us/polaris/logon.aspx or click on the My Account area under the BCPL banner of our home page or any of our web pages. Login using your library card number without spaces and your password (password information at http://bcpl.libanswers.com/faq/74863 ). When you are logged in, click on Items Out on the left side of the page. This shows the items you have currently checked out from the library. Step-by-step instructions for renewing items can be found under View and Renew Items Out at http://catalog.bcpl.lib.md.us/polaris/help/default.aspx
The new due date is calculated from the date you place the renewal not from the original due date. If the item is already late when you renew it, appropriate late fees (http://www.bcpl.info/services-policies/policies-procedures#fines) will be applied to your library account.
Important renewal information about downloadable eBooks, audiobooks, DVDs, Videogames, Interlibrary Loaned material...
Interlibrary Loaned material: items from a Marina participating public library may be renewed twice; items from an OCLC (Maryland academic or any non-Maryland library) cannot be renewed.
Downloadable audiobooks and eBooks
- CloudLibrary (formerly 3M Cloud Library) ebooks and audiobooks cannot be renewed. However, if there are no holds on the title, books may be checked out again and re-downloaded after your loan period expires. Otherwise, you will need to place a hold on the title.
- OverDrive audiobooks and eBooks: Users can renew a borrowed title if there are no other holds on the title. The renew option becomes available three days before the title is set to expire, appearing under the title in the Loans section in your library OverDrive account. Customers may only renew a title one time. If there are existing holds on a title, the Renew button will not work and will look grayed-out. See the following link from OverDrive’s Help menu for step-by-step directions to renew titles.( http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481523-how-to-renew-digital-titles )