Last Updated: Apr 19, 2023 Views: 35
BCPL offers downloadable e-books from Libby (by OverDrive) and from CloudLibrary. Mobile apps from both are available for Android or Apple iOS devices. You can use both apps if you want. But if you are new to downloadable books, it's easier if you start with just one rather than both at the same time. Once the app is installed, use it to search, place holds, borrow and read e-books or listen to audiobooks. Directions and links to get started are below.
Libby (by OverDrive) - You will need your library card number to log into the Libby app. If you don't have one yet, you can apply for an e-card online or visit any BCPL branch to get one.
- See Getting started with Libby for directions and links to install the Libby app (by OverDrive).
- Open the Libby app and follow the prompts to sign in with your Baltimore County Public Library card number and PIN. When asked for your library system, it's best to spell out Baltimore County Public Library instead of entering "BCPL", a zip code, the name of your city or letting the app guess your library.
- See Navigating Libby to learn how to use the Libby app.
- Unless you want to see both e-books and audiobooks you may want to Filter your Search by Format to only show you only e-books or only audiobooks. If you do not filter by format then look for the earbuds icon below the book cover to tell which are audiobooks. If there's no earbuds icon below the book cover then it's an e-book not an audiobook.
- See the Libby Help site for all topics related to using the app.
CloudLibrary - You will need both your library card number and your library PIN to log into the CloudLibrary app. If you don't have one yet, you can apply for an e-card online or visit any BCPL branch to get one.
- Go to the Your CloudLibrary website
- Select the 'Get the App' tab
- Select your device from the drop down menu.
- Install and log into the app. Be sure to select Baltimore County Public Library as your library system.
- After you've signed in, you can browse for titles in the app or tap the search icon and enter specific titles or authors.
- When you find a book you want to borrow, click on the book cover to see more information about it. When you find a book you want, click the "Borrow" button.
- If you see a hold button instead of a Borrow button, then that book has a wait list. You can place a hold and be notified when a copy is available for you.
- If you want an audiobook, look for the headphones icon on the book cover. It's usually at the top, right corner of the book cover. Unless you want to see both e-books and audiobooks you may want to use the filters to show you only audiobooks or only e-books. To find the filters, tap the Search button then tap the small Filter icon in the upper right next to Search field. Now tap e-books or audioboks.
- Once you've borrowed a book, you can start reading (or listening) right away. The book will be automatically downloaded to your device and will be available in your "My Books" section in the app.
- There are options to adjust e-book font size, line spacing, and other reading settings. Also there is an option to adjust audiobook playback speed.
- When you're finished reading the book, you can return it by going to My Books then clicking on the "Return" button in the app. This will free up the book for other library patrons to borrow.
- See CloudLibrary's FAQ's page and How to Videos for more on how to use the app.
If you have any trouble using or accessing e-books from the library, email us using our Support Form.